Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday, June 7, 2009 - Snow*
At 11:00 AM this morning, it is 41 degrees and snowing heavily. When I got up at 9, it was a very fine corn snow and 35 degrees, so as the morning warms, the snow gets larger and heavier. The low temperature last night was 28.2, with the high yesterday of 42.9, with winds only reaching 11 mph for a short time at around 6 PM.
My barometer is showing sunshine and a raising pressure, while NWS is predicting a chance of showers, so only time will tell.
I finished my research on water heaters and made the decision to just replace the tank type with another. My research showed that all but a few of the tankless type water heaters require 120 volt plug in, or a standing pilot light, which means it is using electricity or burning all of the time, just like a tank type. It also showed that I would have to completely replace the venting with stainless steel of a different diameter than I currently have. The stainless steel kits for tankless can cost $300.00 or more, so add that to the cheapest one I found ($559.00) and by the time I bought all the correct fittings, it would cost over a thousand dollars to put one in. Some even required that I change all the black pipe for the propane feed, to ¾” verses the ½” I now have.
When all the research is in, it makes more sense to just replace it with the same type and size water heater that can simply be exchanged, without having to re-plumb everything. My research on the tank type showed that Rheems 30 gallon high altitude water heater was the cheapest, at $283.00 but none are available, locally or on the internet. They were back ordered online until the end of June, so the next best one was the Whirlpool 30 gallon high altitude at $429.00, which was in stock at my local Lowes store. I will plan a trip to town and buy one tomorrow. I hope the exchange with the old water heater is as easy as I anticipate.
I put the battery back in the truck and it started up immediately, and I hope it will hold its charge. It is still snowing lightly, but melting soon after it hits the ground. It isn’t causing any problems at the moment, but I know the road out will be slippery and the mud holes will be filled with water.
I decided to check the oil in the generator before starting it again for the evening, and it needed about half a quart, so I filled it up. I checked the gas tank and was surprised to find it empty, and was sure that if I had left the generator run another 15 minutes this morning, I would have run it completely out of gas. Not having any more gas available made my trip to town today imperative. I put all four of my 5-gallon gas cans in the back of the truck, got my wallet and headed to town. It was already 3:45, but the days are long, not getting dark until after 9 PM, and I knew Lowes is open until 9 at night.
We drove straight to Lowes and I had them load the water heater for me, paying and getting underway. I drove to Safeway to get a few items and fill the truck and gas cans, and then we headed for home. Arriving without a problem, I unloaded and filled the gas in the generator tank and started it up. I was going to unload the water heater, but Zack was anxious to play and it was drizzling, so I left it in the back of the truck.
After playing with Zack, I filled the bird feeders as they are going through the seed in a couple of hours, and that is all four of the feeders. Coming in, I built a fire, fed Zack, straightened out the kitchen, heated water for a shower and then relaxed before having my dinner.
My root canal hasn’t given me any problems but my jaw muscles are still a bit sore from holding my mouth wide open for 90 minutes. I also hate having to only chew on one side, as the temporary filling is too soft for any serious chewing, as in a steak or something really good. I ended up heating a frozen chicken enchilada dinner, which was quite good and filling.
Some television and a glance at the local Nichol Saver, which is the town paper with deals like the Penny Saver, Gold Panner, or other papers, and then to bed at eleven O’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment