Sunday, June 14, 2009

Monday, June 1, 2009 -
Although I enjoyed yesterdays respite, I feel like I need to get more done before relaxing. I still haven’t figured out why the batteries aren’t charging, and I need to open up the garage and get the vehicles started. It is cool and overcast today and NWS is predicting the possibility of thundershowers.
I have my dentist appointment at 2 PM today, so need to get ready and head to town, so I can connect with the follow me truck in time to make my appointment. If I miss the truck, it means waiting a whole hour and possibly missing my appointment. It wouldn’t be the end of the world, but I only see the dentist once a year for a cleaning and check up, so it has been awhile and I need him to check a tooth that has been pressure sensitive for several months.
Zack and I left the cabin at 12:45 and drove down the mountain to connect with the follow me truck. We arrived with 10 minutes to spare and I read while waiting as Zack napped in the copilot seat. We made the trip to Lincoln Road, and again, I was surprised to see how much of the road is paved. They are now more than half way done and even putting up the guard rails on the Lincoln Road side.
I made it to my appointment right on time and parked in a lot behind where my dentist’s office is. I usually park on the street, but decided that the parking lot was more convenient, so parked there. The dental hygienist took me right in and introduced herself. She is new at this office and I found her manner and techniques superior to just about all of my previous hygienist. After she had finished the exam and x-rays, John, my dentist, did his exam and studied the x-rays. He told me that the pressure sensitive tooth, a lower left molar (#19), was abscessed and I would have to have a root canal immediately. I have had abscessed teeth before and this didn’t seem as painful or bothersome as any before, but even I could see the abscess in the x-ray.
John started me on antibiotics and scheduled me for the root canal on Thursday, what fun, not to mention the $827.00 that it will cost me. It is still far less than the amount I would have spent on monthly premiums if I had purchased the dental coverage at retirement, so I can’t complain. He further discussed my high blood pressure (186/107) and was relieved to find out that I was seeing my doctor tomorrow.
When I got back to the car, there was an envelope on the windshield, and my first thought was that someone had hit me and left a note, but it was a parking ticket! Because I have never parked in a lot on my infrequent trips to town, I was unaware that there was a charge. There are no meters and on my way out, I saw the little sign and box saying, “Pay Here.” I remember that on my way into the lot, a large delivery van had been parked there, blocking my view of the sign.
I read the ticket and it was a $5.00 penalty, but could be disputed in person at the Parking Enforcement Office. I had to pay my vehicle registration on the RV, so went to the DMV to do that. After paying, I asked the clerk where I needed to go to see about the parking ticket. I thought maybe their office was in the same building, but it wasn’t. I drove to Parking Enforcement and found the office needed. I spoke to the clerk and explained the circumstances and she told me that I only needed to pay a dollar, but be sure to pay the parking fee in the future.
I went to Safeway to have the prescription filled, as John wants me to double dose today and then take them for a week to eliminate the infection. I bought some groceries and filled the gas cans ($1.99 with my 40 cent discount) while I was there, and then stopped at Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware to check on prices and availability of the tankless water heaters.
I found that Home Depot didn’t have any on display, but did have a brochure on Rheems and Paloma brand, and Lowes had several Bosch units on display. I have to have one that operates on LP (Liquid Propane), and they had one in stock for $649.00, which is a little more than twice what a gas water heater costs. Ace Hardware has the same unit for $599.00 and can get it in two workdays.
Not being able to get online and research tankless water heaters was troublesome, but Steve at Ace Hardware, printed out the entire owner’s manual for me to study. Having looked into tankless water heaters a couple of years ago, I knew that $600.00 was cheaper than what they had been, so was resigned to pay that price for one, but would study the manual information before making that decision.
We didn’t get back to the Marysville Road until after 7 PM, so didn’t have to deal with the follow me truck or wait. Again, I was happy to see their progress, as they are ¾ of the way to Marysville with the paving. The smooth, quick trip to our turn off was a pleasure, but the newly paved road means people will drive at a greater speed and in the winter it could mean more accidents than ever. At least with the guardrail I hope no one will go over the side and down the mountain as I had.
We stopped at the motor home to get yet more things to move to the cabin, and didn’t get home and unloaded until 8:30. I played with and then fed Zack, with Zoey being back on mainly dry food now that she is home. I fixed myself some dinner and then showered, watched a program on television and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment