Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wednesday, July 15, 2009






Wednesday, July 15, 2009
This morning looks promising and the bright sunny sky seems to be showing a much different day from yesterday. By 10:00 O’clock, it is 67 degrees in the direct sun, but feeling cooler in the wind that has been blowing at a constant10 mph.
I spent the morning doing my usual research and answering emails while enjoying my coffee and then a light brunch of an egg on a large biscuit with orange juice. As noon approached, I played with Zack and then changed into my work clothes to go outside and take advantage of the nice weather. I had spotted several thistles that were either missed when I sprayed before, or newly emerged. Even though the wind was still blowing, it had calmed down enough that I could treat the weeds. I contact spray, rather than spraying the weed and area, meaning I only put the solution on the weed and not the surrounding area and therefore don’t worry about overspray or having it blown onto myself.
Lugging the 5-gallon sprayer around, I pulled a muscle in my back, even though I only fill the container with 2 ½ gallons at a time. I managed to spray every weed I could find and put the rig away. I noticed that one of my propane bottles was empty, so I switched it out for a full one. While doing that, I took a good look at the wind damage to the door hinges and determined that I will have to remove all of the log exterior to get to hinges, and then replace them on both doors.
Meanwhile, I decided to finish insulating the battery box and put it back together. I had to remove the log siding and front panel to remove and replace the house batteries, and because I wasn’t sure I was completely done moving the batteries around, hadn’t put it back together. I added the blue board insulation and then refastened the panel and siding, re-securing the lid hinges and finally finishing by 7 PM.
It is taking me much longer to do jobs like this, and I am not sure if I am just out of shape, or the new blood pressure medicine has something to do with it. I could barely lift the full 100-pound propane bottle into the shed, whereas last year, I could lift it in without much strain. Maybe it’s just me getting older, but I feel like I have no strength or stamina.
I gave Zack one last play period for the day and then feed him. I needed to shower to get any spray and all of the Deep Woods Off washed from my skin. After the shower, I had a drink and relaxed before having a crab salad for my dinner. Some television and rest filled out the remainder of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment