Sunday, June 28, 2009

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 -
Although it is a bit breezy this morning, the sky is completely clear for the first time in a week or more, the sun is brightly warming the ground, Zack went out to lay on the front porch to try and soak up that warmth.
NWS is predicting partly cloudy and then more thunderstorms moving in by Thursday and continuing through Friday morning. I was hoping for a couple of days of sun so the yard would be dry enough to mow. It is getting long in the tooth and needs a good cutting. Maybe the wind and sun together will dry it out enough that I can cut it tomorrow.
With all the dead trees in the forest now, we can use the rain and moisture to help keep the fire danger down. When it heats up later this summer, I expect we will see some large forest fires over the entire area of bark beetle kill.
As soon as I finish my coffee and have a light breakfast, and then Zack and I will head into town to my doctor appointments, and run a few errands.
By 6 PM, we arrived home and unloaded the items from town. The trip to town went according to plans, as I collected my mail, made my chiropractor appointment, went to Safeway for some grocery items, stopped at Murrdoch’s for more bird seed and couple of additional salt licks, and then stopped at my doctor’s office for a blood draw and to have the stitches removed.
We headed for home, but made one last stop to pull a prank on my friend Michele. She had been boasting about how her strawberry plants already had tons of little berries and she couldn’t wait for them to mature. I bought some strawberries at Safeway and planned to put them in her plant bed to make it appear they had magically grown to maturity over night.
Her daughter, Heather, was home, so I conspirer with her to do the deed. She told me that Michele wouldn’t be home until tomorrow night, so she’d put them in the refrigerator and position them tomorrow night before her mom got home. She said she had thought of doing the same thing with the tomato plants, and I told her she should.
We left and headed to Marysville. There is no more road control, at least until they need to chip and seal the pavement the second week in July. I decided to take the long way up to the Divide, as I was pretty sure the wild flowers would be impressive, and I was right. I reached into the backseat to retrieve my camera, and my incision opened up like a defective Ziploc sandwich bag. It didn’t hurt, and still doesn’t, but it feels weird and poured plasma, or what ever that non-blood fluid is, down my arm.
I drove home, cut a butterfly bandage, applied it to the opening, and wrapped it tightly with gauze. I still had to unload the car and then Zack expected my to throw him the disc, injury or not. I made the best of it and managed to throw the disc several times without pulling on my incision. When he was satisfied enough to stop, I fed him and he went to take a nap.
I have been watching the deer at the salt licks and keeping Zack from going outside to investigate them. Zoey is now outside watching the deer. They are cautious and keep their distance, but return to the lick to enjoy the salt and minerals.
It is now after 8 O’clock and I need to shower, keeping my incision dry, and then have some dinner before relaxing in front of the television.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that was a great prank idea! Too bad it didn't go as planned... thanks for the berries, though!
    BTW, that particular kid was Krystle. I don't think you have met Heather yet. :-)
    Give the "kids" a scratch for me!

    ReplyDelete